"The first blessing of parenthood is loving so deeply someone you've never ever met."

Monday, October 26, 2009

Families are Forever

Being new to this whole blogging scene my mind is kind of scattered as I type this. I have felt a bit emotional as I am now back at home. The hubby and I along with our two eldest children had the opportunity to attend my big brother Amanaki Maile’s funeral in Utah this past weekend. Through this sad occasion was also a great opportunity for my children to meet many of their aunts, uncles & cousins on my Dad’s side, from all over: Utah, Florida, and Vegas. My eldest, which is 3 enjoyed being in the presence of her uncles. She loved playing childish games with these grown men, and being able to feel the love they have for her. As a mother I enjoyed seeing all of my older brothers tend to my children's needs, feeding them, wiping their spaghetti sauce faces,using their shirts as tissue to wipe their running noses, picking them up when they cried, and being BIG grown men chasing a 2' three year old under the kitchen table while playing a game of “tag”. My 19 month old son who tends to always play and do things on his own, and is normally stuck to my hip had a blast with his uncles. I enjoyed watching him sit quietly with his “blanky” in hand and suck his thumb as his Uncle Ben had a full on conversation with him, which was totally out of character for my little Papa

Growing up in California, we (my siblings and I) grew up extremely close to my mothers side of the family, in which I love and adore! The majority of my first cousins on my fathers side have always lived out of state from us. But don’t get me wrong since I could remember, every time us Maile cousin did get together we had the best times together. - This was the first time my little family has been able to attend a family function out of state all together (besides Eric). What a blessing it has been. I love my family. Now that I am a mother I see how important it is to have strong family ties with our extended families. Being able to see all of my cousins that I see only on occasion, and to have my children meet their aunts and uncles meant the world to me. My heart is FILLED with gratitude for this opportunity I have had to take my children with me to Utah. As I saw my cousin Kolei si’i (named after my beloved Father) a sense of peace came over me. It’s not only the name that reminds me of my dad but he always has that big “Maile Smile” on his face just like my Dad! Every time I see Kolei I automatically think of my dad’s blue scriptures that he used and studied from day in and day out, which were Kolei Si’i’s before he had left for his mission. I could not help but to think of my dad (RIP) during this occasion.

Now that we are home, I miss my family so much. I miss all of the “Grandmas,” my favorite uncles, my elder brothers and sisters, my nephews and nieces. Its a feeling of homesick. I can't help but to think of “Heaven” and what it would be like if we (our family) were missing just ONE person. The impact it would have on our family would be tremendous. If one of us were missing, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it would be to not be dwelling all together as a family. I have enjoyed every minute I have had with my family this past weekend. Though the occasion was sad, it had brought many “together.”

As I sat on the airplane ready to take off and head back to Oakland, my heart was filled with love and appreciation for my grandparents, Semisi & Nita Maile. Through their example of “Goodly-Godly parents” we have all been taught and know the “truth.” We know our Father’s plan for us. We know that if we live by His will and we do all we can to build His kingdom, we will be able be with one another through the eternities.


1 comment:

  1. Yay! Welcome to the world of blogging! I love this post Lose. More! More!

    ReplyDelete